Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

The minor driver of the bus with migrants remains in custody, the court decides

Photo: Daniela Kostadinova, BNR

The 15-year-old Syrian Omar, who drove the bus with 47 migrants and crashed it into a police car, taking the lives of two police officers in Burgas, will remain in custody, the District Court in the city of Burgas ruled today. 

Prosecutor Dimitar Uzunov stated that he would plead for the strictest measure, since it was a serious intentional crime, which provides for a sentence from 15 to 20 years or life imprisonment. 
The defendant told the court that he saw the police car at the last moment, pressed the brakes but they did not work. He pleaded guilty, but added that the crime was not intentional and asked to be released from pre-trial detention. 

Omar has no ID documents, and his identity is established by data shared by himself. If it is proven that he is a minor, he faces up to 10 years in prison. 

The Syrian told his official lawyer, Plamen Kunev, that the organizer of the trafficking was located in Turkey. So far, there is no information about Bulgarians who have cooperated.



Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

Rosen Zhelyazkov

The government remains intolerant of corruption

The government will remain intolerant of any form of corruption. This was what Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov said from the parliamentary rostrum regarding the investigation by the European Public Prosecutor's Office into the..

published on 4/4/25 11:13 AM

Increase in toll taxes will seriously affect Bulgarian carriers

The increase in toll taxes seriously affects international carriers and all those involved in this activity in the country. Despite the meeting between representatives of carriers and the Minister of Regional Development and Public Works, Ivan Ivanov,..

published on 4/4/25 10:20 AM
Bulgarian President Rumen Radev (L) and King Abdullah II of Jordan in Sofia, April 3.

Sofia hosts Aqaba Process meeting with focus on Balkans

Bulgarian President Rumen Radev and Jordan's King Abdullah II will be hosting a high-level meeting under the Aqaba Process initiative, focusing on security challenges in the Balkans. King Abdullah II of Jordan visits Sofia to co-chair high-level..

published on 4/4/25 7:35 AM