Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

Saint Sophia – 17 centuries of rich history

БНР Новини
Photo: Veneta Pavlova

From March 11 to 13th, Sofia hosts the international conference “The Saint Sophia Basilica of the transition from pagan rites to Christianity. The participants are scholars from the Balkans, Austria, US and Ukraine including archeologists, historians, theologians, architects, museum workers, restorers.  The organizer is the Historical museum of Sofia. Today’s church Saint Sophia is one of the symbols of the capital and is also included in its coat of arms. In fact, its name meaning the god’s wisdom gave the name of the Bulgarian capital. It is believed that the present-day church was the fourth built on this spot. The reasons for the conference are two, says doctor Nadejda Kirova, museum director: 1,700 years since the construction of the first temple as well as the opening for visitors of the church crypt last year:

Снимка

What we show downstairs are almost 50 of a total of 100 studied tombs from the early 3rd and 4th century, she says. Actually following 450 AD we have no data indicating that any burial facilities were built under the modern basilica. And that’s why they stopped the funerals.  Now we show the remains of the three earlier churches. In fact, it was started with a martyrion where a martyr is buried. This was the requirement for building a new church in that period. He was then extended to the west and later was used as the middle nave of the temple.  So this first church served as the foundation for constructing the bigger one, obviously the small temple where the northern and southern naves were added.  Later, another church was built before the modern.”

Снимка

During the Ottoman rule the temple was turned into a mosque. After the two big earthquakes in 1818 and 1858, Muslims leave it because they believe Allah withdrew his blessing. The Liberation of Bulgaria in 1878 found the church in a state of ruin, and there were even plans to destroy it. But it turned out to be too expensive and thanks to this it has now been preserved and later restored. In 1998, it again opened its doors for the faithful. It is now a functioning temple, it is venerated and loved by Sofians.

Снимка

Archeological digs underground persisted for years, the conservation and restoration – as well. Among burials only one was with preserved murals. Drawings there testify that the early period of the temple – the transition from paganism and Christianity. The three-day scientific conference is part of the events supporting Sofia’s bid and that of Bulgaria’s Southwestern region for European capital of culture in 2019.

English version: Rossitsa Petcova

Photos: Veneta Pavlova




Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

Monument to Monsignor Francesco Galloni in Lodetto di Rovato

Italian bishop Francesco Galloni dedicates his life to the poor and orphans of Bulgaria

A humble military chaplain made his first contact with Bulgaria in 1921, arriving with the mission of searching for Italian soldiers who had disappeared without a trace during World War I. However, he did not remain indifferent to the fate of this small..

published on 3/15/25 8:35 AM

How Slava was saved from oblivion – the story of Bulgaria’s last submarine

Beloslav is a small town on one of the branches of Varna Lake. Yet it is here, in this quiet little town, that the only preserved Bulgarian submarine – Slava – is anchored . It was decommissioned a long time ago, and has now been turned in one of..

published on 3/11/25 7:35 AM

The Holy Forty Martyrs church in Veliko Tarnovo - a shrine in Bulgarian history

March 9 is the feast day of the Church of the Forty Martyrs in the town of Veliko Tarnovo - a place of exceptional importance for the Bulgarian statehood, which worthily preserves the memory of the glorious Tarnovo kings. ‎ On March 9, the..

published on 3/9/25 8:05 AM